The Fredericksburg Rockhounds
The Fredericksburg Rockhounds is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit club with five goals:
- To provide an environment in which people interested in the earth sciences and the lapidary arts can associate;
- To contribute to and disseminate knowledge about rocks, minerals, fossils, and other geologic materials;
- To encourage and facilitate the practice of the lapidary arts and the collection of rocks, minerals, and fossils;
- To sponsor field trips, meetings, lectures, and displays and to organize and conduct an annual show; and
- To participate in related activities at the local, state, and national levels.
Membership is open to all interested persons. Annual dues are $8 for adults, $15 for families, and $3 for Juniors (18 years or younger).
Club members meet at 7:00 p.m. on the first Monday of each month in the Golden Hub Senior Center at 1009 North Lincoln Street in Fredericksburg, to socialize and to listen to presentations on a wide variety of topics related to the earth sciences and the lapidary arts. Guests are always welcome. Club members also participate in regular field trips and sponsor an annual Gem & Mineral Show during the third weekend in January at the Pavilion in Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park, two miles south of Fredericksburg on State Highway 16. A monthly newsletter is posted on our website, and mailed to those who lack computer access.
Additional information about the Fredericksburg Rockhounds and a map showing the location of the Senior Center may be obtained from the Club’s website at fredericksburgrockhounds.org or by mailing a request to the Fredericksburg Rockhounds, 412 S. Adams St, Fredericksburg TX 78624.
REGULARLY SCHEDULED ACTIVITIES
- The monthly meeting on the first Monday of each month
- The Annual Gem and Mineral Show during the third weekend in January
- The Annual Club Picnic on the first Monday in June
- The Annual Christmas Party on the first Monday in December
TYPICAL FORMAT OF A MONTHLY MEETING
- 6:00 p.m. Early birds gather to visit and “talk rocks”
- 7:00 p.m. Call to Order and presentation of program
- 7:45 p.m. Refreshments and socializing
- 00 p. m. Business Meeting
- 8 30 p. m. Pick up and go home
SHOW AND TELL/SELL TABLE
Members are encouraged to bring items of interest—self-co1lected or purchased. The table theme may coincide with the program of the evening. Trading stones is always fun and serves as a great “what is it?”
Our monthly newsletter is posted on our website one week prior to the meeting, and a link to it is emailed; paper copies are sent via the regular mail to those without computer access. Members are encouraged to supply tidbits, news notes, abstracts, etc. Details for submitting newsletter items are given on its last page.
Field trips are scheduled irregularly depending on the weather and the availability of sites. They are posted on our website, and are usually announced at meetings and through special emails. Usually they’re not scheduled far enough in advance to be announced in the newsletter. Members are encouraged to suggest locales of interest.